Friday, July 18, 2008

How to get a back up of bookmarks in Firefox

I make regular backups of my Internet Explorer favorites which are placed in a folder named "Favorites" inside the user profile. In IE for every entry added to the favorites an Internet Shortcut (*.url) is created so the backup is actually a container of files with the url extension. Now that I am switching to FireFox it is important to keep my backup schedule but FireFox is using a different mechanism to store bookmarks! Instead of creating an entry for every bookmark it uses a single HTML file to hold the entire bookmarks and this HTML file is located in the user profile:
"Drive:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default.qfb\bookmarks.html"
So by backing up "bookmarks.html" I will have my backup in place again and FireFox gives me the ability to search through my Bookmarks by keeping all the entries in this HTML format.

Firefox 3

Source : http://www.itbuzzer.net/corner/2004/07/how-to-backup-firefox.asp

No comments: