Friday, April 17, 2009

How do I minimize Mozilla Firefox or Thunderbird to the tray?

I work as an department engineer @ university of Oslo and my Thunderbird application should be open all the time so I can answer if someone has sent me an email. A while ago I was thinking if it is possible to do something to minimize Thunderbird to traybar and spare some space on the task bar ... Well I searched and there were a good number of developers who had already done it ... Thanks to them, here is the way to do it : You have to download an AddOn called minimizetotray and add it on your Thunderbird. It also seems like there is a similar AddOn which works on Firefox as well but I have NOT tried it as I prefer my Firefox on the taskbar. After it you have following ways to minimize your dear Thunderbird to tray and spare some space :-)

There are multiple ways exist for minimizing Firefox and Thunderbird to the tray. You can use whatever works best for you. The most common method is to right-mouse click on the minimize button in the top right hand corner of the window. Or you can select from the menu File->Minimize to Tray. Or you can use the keyboard shortcut for Firefox, Ctrl+Shift+M. If you want to always have Firefox and Thunderbird minimized to the tray instead of the taskbar, select that checkbox in the extension's options. If you want to minimize all open Firefox windows, middle click on the minimize button, (or CTRL+right-mouse click for those without middle buttons).

No comments: