Friday, April 17, 2009

My Review, Eee style ...

My review of my new brand Asus Eee 1000HE ...

The Asus Eee 1000HE comes in dimensions of 266mm(W) x 191.2mm(D) x 28.5mm~ 38mm(H) and weights 1.45 kg. You can find it in black, white, blue, pink and silver but I have not heard anyone ever seen that silver out of picture. The computer's design can make every single person confess to its beauty and stately at the same time. The shining black lid gives her a gorgeous look and at the same time can be counted as one of its cons(-). Although the shining black is fascinatingly beautiful, it can get easily the fat from your fingerprints very easily on her and it is not the best thing you want to see on a black beauty. But you don't need to worry as it comes with a cool soft handkerchief to clean it.

The screen is a 10” LED Backlight WSVGA screen (1024x600) and I really liked it. The best resolution you get 1024x600 while actually you can have 1024x768 but don't bother it doesn't fit the screen. I mean the resolution is good enough for Windows but not for Linux. For Linux it actually is a little bit too small ... Specially for the terminal, you dont get to see all the info on the screen by default unless you change the fonts size.

The most fascinating part of this pc is its battery. It does have a 6-Cell Li-ion Battery which is being advertised to last 9.5 hrs, and of course it is mentioned that operation lifetime subject to product model, normal usage conditions and configurations. Learn more about battery life >> My experience showed around 7-8 hours battery life which is lovely to go around with a charger free laptop and enjoy it :-) I should mention battery life under Linux OS is less than Windows.

If I want to keep talking about the stuffs around this black beauty I would have to talk about the I/O devices which can be mentioned as followed :
1 x VGA Port (D-sub 15-pin for external monitor)
3 x USB 2.0 => (2 on the right and one on the left side)
1 x LAN RJ-45
2 x Audio Jack (Head Phone / Mic-in)
Card Reader: MMC/ SD(SDHC)

On the top, the keyboard is not the best keyboard I have had(IBM) but it is okay I guess. With a double Fn buttons which the extera one is not placed well enough. Also another negative point of this keyboard is a replaced and smaller shift button beside the new Fn one that makes things worse and takes its time to get used to it. The keyboard also suffers from lack of direct Page up,Page down, Home and End button ... I do doubt the good quality and solid built of it as well. It just doesnt look very stable and a quality keyboard ... But come on the whole damns thing is very cheap and even the keyboard is not that bad ...

The touchpad is the other pros of this machine. It is kind of an Apple touchpad with poorer quality. You can scroll with 2 fingers and this will mostly prevent a lot of bugs that nearly every single other brand notebook suffers from. They all mix up Zooming in and out in the browsers and it is really bothersome ...

And the last and not the least is a tiny little 1.3M pixel webcamera which is just okay and will never reach Apple webcam quality(IT IS CHEAP :-D).

Now that we covered the outfit, lets get in the beautiful box then ;-)

The CPU is a Intel® Atom N280, the memorry is by default a 1 GB DDR2(which I made it 2 GB) and finally the H.D.D which is a 160GB HDD plus 10GB Eee online Storage. The Eee Storage service is complimentary for the first 18 months. You can register account information for 6 months extension (depend on country). The computer also has very good Wifi and Bluetooth units. The device enjoys having WLAN 802.11b/g/n and Bluetooth2.1 + EDR.

The worst part of the computer was a very NOT STANDART Bios which took me 2 hours to find out how to boot my computer from USB. The complicated non standard BIOS configuration does not recogonize USB memorry as a removable device but a H.D.D !!! So it leads to this that you should first choose the USB as the first Hard Disk and then choose to boot from this hard disk from the boot menu.

My computer in Norway came out with Win XP Home edition. My problem with it was that it did not have an English version and I had to choose between Danish, Swedish, Norwegian or Samisk !!! Well I formatted the whole disk and installed a XP pro on it from USB(Tutorial comes in the next post) for emergency use and a nice Fedora Linux as my first O.S. :-)

That's it and I can come to conclusion here ... Although I underlined all the negetaive points I found but this is my dream pc after my IBM crashed last November(3 years old). Since then I had changed 4 different computers and was not sattisfied with any of them and thansk to a very good customer service of an IT shop here in Norway, I could give them back in 30 days trying period :-) The machine is small, light, good looking and has nearly everything I need.

No comments: